Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Detour

So, I couldn't get you closer, but if I could have you would see that giant orange sign down the hill says, "Road Closed Beginning June 18th, Re-opening in October". That is the entrance to my neighborhood and we are on the backside of a very long closure! Who does that? They just shut the whole road down for a quarter of the year. The only other entrance in to our out of our neighborhood requires a 5 mile detour to the backside of the neighborhood and then down some 2-lane, back country roads winding back to the main streets. When I say country roads, think horse properties, corn fields and a llama farm. Its been tough convincing my children that we can't have a horse at our house when everyday we drive through that. The detour is long and frustrating on a good day, get behind the mailman or a bicyclist and you aren't going anywhere!  The girls school is usually 5 minutes from our house, but not this year! Until the road opens, my babies are gone an extra 40 minutes a day, because their bus ride takes over 20 minutes. My final complaint with the whole process is that my big, giant SUV is good for a lot of things, but gas mileage isn't one of them. She gets 14 miles to the gallon, do the math on the extra 10 miles I drive every time I go back and forth from home to anywhere and it adds up to more than a gallon of gas extra each day. I'll be glad to have that $100 a month back in my pocket when October rolls around.

The good news is my big hurry to get out of my neighborhood, just leads to this. The next road is open, but during a major construction process. This photo was taken as I drove 5 miles an hour behind this tractor for 15 minutes. The whole process is making me crazy! Thanks for letting me rant....the end is in sight! I am not even sure what they are doing out there, but I hope it is something spectacular.

No comments: