Sunday, October 07, 2012

Surgery

Well, I am five days post surgery and just beginning to hobble around a bit. The biggest challenge was making sure the surgeon operated on the correct leg. She had made a mistake in her initial paperwork and despite several phone calls and more corrections with the surgery center staff the morning of the operation, the surgeon still walked in ready to perform surgery on the wrong knee! She was horrifed by her mistake and in addition to the usual markings on my injured knee, she wrote the giant "NO" on the healthy side and as they wheeled me in to the OR they were flipping the equipment to prepare for the correct surgery. Since showering has been a challenge, I am still sporting those words on my leg all these days later.The girls think it is hilarious.

The first 24 hours after surgery was great. I either over did it and then paid for it or came off a high from all the hospital drugs. Either way, I went rapidly downhill after 24 hours and had a rough day and a half.  Most of Thursday and all of Friday were spent in bed, on ice, with Tommy catering to all my needs! Thankfully I began to feel better on Saturday and even had a short outing to see Addison's friend perform in a play. Today is my final day of rest. I can take about 5 consecutive steps without crutches and can move around pretty well. I am seeing drastic improvement each day and praying that continues. Stitches come out Thursday and I am guessing I will begin some PT. I am ready to have this behind me and be moving at my normal pace soon! 

No comments: