Thursday, March 24, 2011

How Sweet Midwest

Can you spot 3 little girls in in this picture? They are all there! This is our new home-sweet-home. We are settling in and liking it so far. The outdoor space is HUGE compared to what we are used to, and even though the weather hasn't been great (you can see the rain on the roof) we are enjoying it. The 3-car garage is a big bonus, although somehow I still sometimes manage to drive through our yard when I am backing up. Soon, when we have a nice day and my poor husband makes it through our LONG list of indoor projects, we will be hanging some red shutters and painting the door red. She is really brown and could use some color! This charming little mailbox is one of my favorite things!!! I love having our own traditional mailbox at the end of the drive, instead of a group box down the street. The girls were assigned the chore of checking the mail daily and couldn't be more delighted to do so! The plant around it is a giant rosebush. I am sure it will be beautiful when it warms up and blooms, but it is a bit of a hazard for small people reaching in for mail. It's a bit thorny. I will have to figure out how to prune it way back, or else we will have to pull it out. Anyone know the proper way to prune a rosebush. I am not sure, but I don't think you are supposed to just start cutting on them???
We had about 5 warmish days over the past week. Not really sunny, but nice! As a result these beautiful daffodils starting popping up all over my flowerbeds. They were a nice surprise. Unfortunately today, the weather took a turn back to cold. When I took this picture this morning, it was 34 degrees outside, with a chance of snow, and they were looking VERY droopy. The temps are expected to remain cold for the next 5 days.....I hope they make it.




2 comments:

kuykendall_family said...

I see three girls and the dog too! So glad to see a little into your new world. Keep updating - take care!

Amanda Burkett said...

Love the updates! The house is darling!! PRUNE those ROSES RIGHT NOW!! Before they start to bloom/grow, you can cut back and re-shape the shrub. As they grow, keeping them pruned will ensure healthy new roses!!! Cheers!