Okay, so I am feeling pretty dumb right now. Gracyn has such a hard time in the car. She loved the car the first few weeks of life, but suddenly changed her mind and now screams hysterically throughout the duration of most car trips. I just thought she didn't like the car.
Today, my neighbor pointed out to me that her dislike might be related to her umbilical hernia. She has a very large hernia, which makes her belly button look like a small mountain. It sticks about an inch up off of her stomach. Penny pointed out today that the buckle is probably squishing it! And, unfortunately the more she cries the more it protrudes, which probably just makes it worse. The hernia should clear up on its own, but it could take until she is 5 years old.
Anybody had this problem? Any ideas how to help her. We definitely want to get it resolved before we head out on our upcoming tour of Texas!
5 comments:
would a car seat extender help not push on that area...maybe compensate by making the arm belts smaller?
Hi. I have been reading your blog for quite sometime, but I don't think I have ever commented. I found it through Sharla's. She is my sis-n-law. Anyway...I have a 6 month old little boy, and he had a belly button hernia for about the first 3 months after he was born. I talked to the Dr. about it, and she said the same thing. That it would go away on its own. She said that if you squished on it and it went down, that there wasn't anything to be worried about. But, if you pushed on it and it was hard, then, there was reason for concern. She also told me that the hernia's do not hurt. I was concerned b/c of car seats, diapers, and clothes. But, she said not to worry. He literally woke up one day, and it was gone. Weird.
Sorry this is so long. I hope it helps. All three of kids have HATED the car seat. I have no idea why. Drives me crazy. :)
Hang in there. Your girls are precious!!!
Hi. I found your blog your blog through Lacey's. My baby HATED the car seat too. A nurse told me that he may be car sick, and suggested giving him Mylicon drops. It seemed to help a little.
Wish I had some words of wisdom, but I don't. :( But I will definitely be praying that she starts liking the car again soon and that it hopefully isn't her hernia. Hang in there Momma!
Hi You! Okay . . . I have listened to Cam scream every single time she's been in the carseat for a year. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. She finally stopped when I turned her around. Know you can't do that with Gracyn yet, but you might take her to a local baby store and set her in a few different carseats and try them out for a better fit. Cam did better when she was sitting more upright, too. Here there was a cool baby store called Right Start (just closed, boo hoo) but they let me put her and Ben both in a million car seats to test them out, then they carried them to the car to make sure they'd fit okay in the camry. Love you so. Praying for easy car trips in the future. PS I had a HUGE hernia with both pregnancies, and it DID NOT hurt to push it back in. It was, however, mildly uncomfortable sometimes. Love! A
Post a Comment