Monday, January 09, 2012

The Independent One

So, I had a first today! Haven't lost a child, until this afternoon. It was only for less than a minute, that I wasn't sure where she was, but long enough to give my heart a big attack! If you know my Reagan and her tendency to wander, it might surprise you that I have never lost her, she tends to "go where the wind blows her" without much thought. But, we have managed to keep tabs on her.

It was Gracyn today and her fierce independence that got me in trouble. The girls were playing, along with 2 friends, in the Chick-Fil-A playground, while I sat at a table nearby, with a friend. I was keeping a close eye on the playground, but somehow in a second I must have turned away, Gracyn left the playground all alone and took herself to the bathroom. We are at Chick-Fil-A pretty often, she is obviously familiar with the place. Her sweet friend came out of the playground asking where she was, I ran in, called for her and got no answer. Reagan thought she was there, but couldn't find her. It took me about 5 seconds to run to the bathroom. There she was, all locked in a stall, ALL BY HERSELF, going potty. She wasn't scared, trying to misbehave or even aware that I was freaking out!!!! She just had to go to the bathroom and so she went.

Tears were soon had by all, and hopefully our conversation made an impression and she won't be quite such a big girl when we are out somewhere. I think I made it very clear, that you don't go anywhere in a public location without letting Mommy know. This girl is going to make me crazy!!!

Edited to add....Reagan did get a few houses in front of us on Halloween, and nearly gave me a panic attack. But, her Daddy swears he knew where she was the whole time, so I don't count that one! :)

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Oh, doesn't that just make your heart stop! I've "lost" Aubrey once at a park. Turned around for a split second and couldn't find her for a few minutes. Turns out she had climbed up the back side of the 2-sided rock wall and got stuck at the top. It's no wonder I'm getting grayer!!