Thursday, February 21, 2008

Home...???

Well, though it doesn't quite feel that way yet, I guess we are home. We are actually in a hotel in Denver, and closing on the house tomorrow. When we landed Tommy said, "Welcome Home!" I shushed him, and told him I wasn't ready to talk about it yet....so, he bought me a cookie!

Thank you all for your prayer, sweet thoughts and offers to help out over the last several days. Things couldn't have gone more smoothly. We were amazed how quickly the crew of three guys had our house packed and loaded. They made it look easy. Everything went just according to schedule, we had our final walk through with the new buyer and said good-bye to the only home our baby girls have ever known. They have taken everything amazingly well, and, thankfully I guess, by the time we closed the door one final time, Tommy and I were so tired, we were basically void of emotion. Tuesday morning, before the movers came, I nursed Reagan one last time in the chair in what was each of their nursery, and tried to just soak it all in...lots of good memories in that house.

Today was blessedly uneventful! We flew here, ran some errands, ate dinner at the hotel and took the girls swimming in the pool. My whole family is sleeping now and I should be too! Let me leave you with a funny story from the plane.

Our flight ended up being about 30 minutes delayed and then, on top of the delay, they announced on the runway, that they were turning off one engine and that we would be waiting another 20 minutes to take-off. Uh-oh, Addison had already asked to go to the bathroom and we had told her to wait until we were in the air and they turned the seat belt sign off.

Well, obviously, when that was put indefinitely on hold, I couldn't continue to keep her waiting. I paged a flight attendant and asked permission to take Addison to the bathroom. She was sweet and helpful and directed us to the front of the plane. Here is where we encountered a 2nd flight attendant. She was seated in her little jump seat a few feet away from us. We neither bothered her or addressed her, as the other lady was helping us, yet she felt the need to let us know we needed to hurry. I don't remember her exact words, but she told us to be quick about it.

This didn't sit well with me, as I felt like she went out of her way to be rude to us, and we were only up at an inopportune time because the flight was late. I graciously informed her that my child would pee as fast as she could...yes mam', that is exactly what I said! I mean really, does she think we were planning to hang out in her 2X2 bathroom?

Now for the funny part. Addison generally has full commentary that goes along with her restroom visits, and since the flight attendant's seat backed up the the bathroom wall, I know she heard it all, and she probably thought I put her up to it. I couldn't help laughing as Addison said, "Pee-pees all done mom, but I have poo-poo. Poo-poo takes a little while....probably like 20 minutes."

I wish you could here it with her expression. The girl cracks me up, and I was thrilled to know that the impatient flight attendant might be worried we were going to be awhile.

5 comments:

Shannon Bogan said...

Glad y'all made it safely *home*. Good luck getting settled in. Can't wait to see pics!

Amanda Burkett said...

Your post made me feel so good today, like you're still just around the corner . . . I love that we're joined forever by faith. Praying!!!! Love you! A

The Chappelles said...

Don't you just love it when people say those type things - especially on air planes! It is like they don't consider the alternative. Would this lady like to help clean up a "potty" mess on a chair and have a screaming child to put everyone on edge?
I am glad you made it there ok.
Love you Sister!

The Skains Family said...

I'm so glad to hear you guys made it there okay. Your family will be in our prayers as you go through this transition time.

The Wiggins Family said...

hahaha.... I love it. Sounds like Carlee. I love how you continue to stay hopeful. Love you and miss you!