Friday, April 22, 2011

Kitchen After

I am posting after pictures, but we are by no means done! Just happy for the moment!!! The wallpaper is down and the purple is gone. The old window seat/cabinets have been pulled out and replaced with a fabulous, well built, large windowseat that opens up for a great storage bin that houses all the girls art supplies. We initially told them it was the time-out bench and if they were in trouble, they would have to be put inside. We haven't done that, but it has been great for hide and seek. The bench wasn't painted yet, when I took the pictures, it is complete now. Unfortunately I have to shop for someone to make me new cushions and I might as well throw in new window treatments while I am at it. I have avoided that, as I know it will probably cost more than the bench itself did!

The final thing on my hit list (for now) are the metal barstools. I just haven't exactly decided what I want. Honestly, the main reason they haven't gone yet is because the girls don't fall out of them. I will probably eventually buy backless stools, and one of our 2-year-old friends just recently got stitches on her mouth as a result of her backless barstools.


Much better without dark, fruity wall paper.

The new window seat, awaiting cozy cushions.
The new tile backsplash.

If you are on facebook, you have already heard this story! Taking down the wallpaper is something I will never forget. Not for the wallpaper itself, but for the Swat Team arrival during the project. I was elbow deep in wall paper remnants and up on a ladder, when I noticed a strange procession of black vehicles coming down my cul-de-sac. I watched for a minute and was most surprised to have 2 of them pull into my driveway. The remaining 3 vehicles formed a blockade in my street and a final vehicle, marked "DEA K-9 Unit" brought up the train. In a matter of seconds, before I could even figure out what was going on, my house was surrounded by armed men, all dressed in black, with bullet proof vests. My dog was going nuts. My main front door was opened, so she had a great view. I cautiously approached the storm door, and the armed men circling it. Long story short, the former owners son was doing some shady business involving drug trafficking through multiple states. The police were here to arrest him and surprised to find that he had moved. The whole thing was quite the welcome to the neighborhood. After recovering from shock, I called Tommy at work and he had a productive phone call with the sheriffs office and the troops eventually left my yard. Now, the locks have been changed....the alarm has been serviced.....and the Daddy finally has my blessing to purchase a gun. So much for my quiet little Mid-West town!




2 comments:

Lacey said...

Remodeling looks GREAT!! Still can't get over the swat team at your house. CRAZY! CRAZY! CRAZY!

Amanda Burkett said...

Sherry told me your SWAT story! I can't believe it!

The kitchen looks beautiful! It looks warm and polished and pretty. The new backsplash is perfection!