So, our house has been on the market just a few days shy of one month. In that time, we have had around 25 showings, which considering the time of year and the market is amazing. 6 or 7 of those have been second showings. One ended with the client buying a super-cheap foreclosure a few streets over and the others all unanimously say, "Love the house, hate the backyard!". We knew we were in for some of that. We didn't like the yard, either, however after a few days of house hunting, we quickly realized that Highlands Ranch is not a place you come for large, private backyards and our love for the house won out! After living here, we have come to LOVE the backyard (or lack there of). Combined with the neighborhood park just down the greenbelt, it has been perfect for our needs. The 25 showings, almost all of which have been weekdays (during Tommy's work hours) have provided for some interesting days! It is like a running a marathon to get the entire house beautiful by myself, get the girls and I dressed, pack up whatever we need for the day and get out. It is no exaggeration when I tell you, I am sweating by the time I get out the door. Here are a few of our adventures so far.
~Today, it is Sunday afternoon, 23 degrees, snowing like crazy, with maybe 5 inches accumulation so far. We slowly and carefully made it home for church and snuggled up for a snow day. Comfy clothes, baby asleep, fireplace on....and then the call comes for a showing. In just a few minutes we will be packing up and heading to a neighbors.
~I don't have a house key. Haven't ever had a house key to this house. I come and go from the garage and that works just fine. Until, a realtor locks the garage door from the inside. Thank goodness I was able to get in touch with our agent right away, so she could give me the code to our lock box and we could get in. That has happened several times since, and by some miracle, I have actually remembered the code to the box!
~Gracyn went an entire week without a single nap in her bed. Thank goodness for car naps and a car DVD for the big girls.
~I keep leaving the house without shoes for Gracyn. I am usually frantic getting us out the door, and I carry her to the car. I never notice till we get somewhere that she doesn't have shoes, and by that point, I am usually in the time block for showings and can't come back to get them.
~My house has never been so clean, and my car has never been so full of junk!
~I grabbed Gracyn out of bed at 2:42 in the afternoon a few days ago. We had a 2:45 showing and I had put her down to get an hour nap before we had to get out. The minute I opened her door, I knew she had a dirty diaper, but it was too late to change her, and I didn't want the smell to linger. I loaded up the girls, drove a few houses down the street and changed her in the car on the side of the road.
~Thank goodness for Target's enormous shopping carts, that will hold all 3 kids and their $1.50 popcorn combo. We have spent a few afternoons hanging out there. They are happy to ride around until the popcorn runs out.
~One day we had 4 showings in a single day. Unfortunately it was the same day I came down with strep throat. Reagan and Gracyn got it later during the week, in between we juggled 9 showings.
~The girls know that by about 10am, when I have gotten the house ready, not to sit on beds I have made, not to put trash in the upstairs trash cans, and not to use the stainless steel sink in the kitchen.
~The girls love to run in the house after showings and look for business cards on the table. Not sure why this is fun, but it delights them.
~I had to rush out of the house in 15 minutes for a last minute showing last week. This was a big accomplishment, considering all 3 girls were in the bathtub when we got that call.
We are thankful for all the showings and trusting God to sell our house at just the right time (read: the showing this afternoon, Please God!!!). In a few weeks, my mom, sister and Austin are heading in to stay with the girls, why we go house hunting in Ohio.....I wonder what adventures they will encounter while they are here?
5 comments:
Ahhhh...I do NOT miss those days. Praying your beautiful house sells quickly and hoping you guys find the perfect house in Ohio and get from what sounds like, a much needed break.
Good luck with the house selling! I do hope you get it taken care of soon so you can enjoy your next adventure!
Wow. I am stressed and sweating after only reading all that. I can't even imagine. Not having a house to sell in Cali sure made the move that much easier. Praying for you guys and for the right buyer to come in!
SWEET GIRL! I hated showing my house while C was tiny (nursing) and B was into everything! I HATED IT! I will give you a terrible tip. Load the girls early in the car, turn on the DVD and run back into the house for a maddening round of picking up! Another good tip, keep an empty laundry basket. If the girls are playing and you get a call, dump all toys in laundry basket, throw the basket in the car with you, and when you come back home play resumes! Love you, praying for a quick sale! A
Wow! I might have to back on this house selling business! I'm very impressed that you are doing this mainly by yourself!
Post a Comment