Sunday, October 05, 2008

My Near Call to 911

First, let me preface this story by saying that I DO NOT get up a single second before my kids do in the mornings. After 14 months of getting up every 3 to 4 hours with Reagan, followed almost immediately by the first trimester of this pregnancy, I need my sleep. My girls are early risers anyway....they are up by 6:30 or 7:00, so I stay put every last minute of that.

Well, last Wednesday I was sound asleep at 6:00am. I had been vaguely aware of Tommy leaving earlier that morning, but was back to a deep sleep. That sleep came to a sudden end, when a shrill, loud alarm sounded throughout my house. I jumped out of bed, sure the house was on fire! The alarm is continuing to sound as I think two things 1.) I need pants and 2.) I have to get my kids out of the house (not particularly in that order). I was in shock and trying to think. I ran to the landing of my staircase to see if I could see smoke and thankfully caught a glimpse of the security alarm on the wall at the bottom of the stairs. It was flashing all red lights and was the definite source of the siren! Thankful that the house wasn't on fire and pretty sure that we weren't being robbed at 6:00am, I turned it off and went back to bed, while I waited for my heart to stop pounding!

Tommy is just sure that he turned the alarm off on his way out to work, but I think he may have pushed the wrong buttons. He would have had 45 seconds to get out of the house before the alarm sounded, so he was well on his way down the block!

I am just thankful I didn't end up on the curb in my t-shirt, with my two startled babies calling 911. The fire department probably wouldn't have appreciated being called out for a false alarm....that wasn't even a false smoke alarm!

No comments: