Is anyone still watching "Jon and Kate Plus 8"? I have watched it from the start. But beginning about a year ago, it became one of my favorite things to do with Addison. We would curl up on the couch on Monday nights and watch the house full of crazy toddlers and the parents trying to keep up. It was a sweet show, and although one older twin was a little sassy and the parents bickered, it was still a relatively wholesome show. We would just talk together about those instances and keep watching.
Fast forward a year, and I have decided that we can't watch it anymore. It has gotten increasingly uncomfortable to watch as the toddlers become old enough to communicate, the twins seem angry and the parents treat each other (and often the kids) horribly. In recent episodes, they are all screaming at each other. They speak to the children and each other with such disrespect and even dislike. Once we watched an older sibling repeatedly kick her younger sibling while the parents ignored it, finally they did address it, only to say to the smaller child, "You shouldn't have been in her room." The final straw for me came a few weeks ago, when a good 10 minutes of the show was dedicated to Kate YELLING at Jon because he had purchased something without a coupon. She shouted at him, degraded him and treated him like a child....reminding him of "the rules" while several of their kids, and the whole world for that matter, looked on.
It makes me sad to see what is becoming of a family Addison and I once found so endearing. We will have to find a new Monday night activity, because I certainly don't want her learning those behaviors, and thinking it is okay to treat family members that way. We haven't watched in a few weeks now, but I guess at least it has made me think about my words, tone of voice, and actions with my family. Are you still watching? What do you think?
4 comments:
Looks like it is back to the Duggers. There is a lot you can say about a family with 17 kids and counting but one thing is for sure the parents are so sweet to each other and the kids are the same. I love to threaten my girls if they don't behave we will adopt the Dugger rules. ALL of them!
So I've been struggling with this show lately, too. I was surprised by their decision to 'ban' their children completely from ever entering the master bedroom at the new house. I didn't sleep in my parent's bed, my little ones don't sleep in mine, but our bedroom is a delightful room, one we all hang out in together. Made me sad. I also struggled a bit with a comment Kate made while looking out her beautiful new kitchen window, something about "Mine. All mine." If I find a new show, I'll let you know!
How sad. I agree with you. I haven't watched much of this season, but I have always felt that Kate disrespects her husband and just degrades him in public and in front of the kids. I know its a stressful life, but they have to be a team. They do seem to be getting into all of the freebies!
I've struggled with this too. I went to a Girl's Night Out event in Houston last month and it helped make my decision if we were going to continue watching. Kate was there and was humble and gave God the glory for all he has done in their lives. While I don't agree with how she treats Jon or the kids, I saw her heart for the first time. I just think TV likes to pick the parts that are more "interesting." Maybe we can send her a copy of "love and Respect?"
Post a Comment