Monday, January 26, 2009

Big Girl Bed...

Reagan's new bed is ordered and on the way. It is due in next week, but I am not sure we are going to make it. We were playing in her room today and I watched, over and over again, as she climbed in and out of her bed. I knew she could climb in, and had no doubt she could probably climb out as well, but until today she hadn't tried it (minus the one time at 11 months old). Big thanks to gymnastics class for making her stronger, more confident and even less fearful!

So far, she seems to be reserving the climbing only for playtime. She hasn't come out on her own at nap or bedtime. Hopefully this will last another week.

Now, here is my question. Do any of you have siblings sharing a room. I am all ears on tips for making this work. I would feel pretty confident if we were just moving her to a big girl bed. But, she is moving rooms, moving to a big girl bed and sharing for the first time all at once! Obviously since she will be sharing with Addison, I can't just gate the door and leave her in there to eventually stay in bed and fall asleep.

If all else fails, we can move Addison into the 4th bedroom, but it is the only one downstairs and I really don't want her that far away. It is also our guest room and home office, which Tommy works out of at least once a week. I am desperate for tips....somebody tell me how to make this work. The girls are excited about it, but I am worried about my sleep!

3 comments:

Between the Dreaming said...

Hey Kim!

Our girls (oldest and middle) share a room and have since Chloe was moved into a big girl bed too. I did the exact same thing that you are saying. It all worked out great for us. It's hard at times for them because they are so very different as far as sleeping habits. Our oldest likes to go to bed quickly and wake up early. Chloe is slow to go to sleep and sleeps late. They will learn each other over time. I would suggest it. You can tell Addison to be 'quiet as a mouse' if she gets up and Reagan is still asleep. I remember teaching Carson how to open the door quietly!!

It is a special thing, especially with 3 girls like us. When they are apart, they are sad that they have to sleep alone. You can tell there is a unique bond that was formed simply because they share a room. Give them a time limit on talking and then say it's bedtime...no more talking! We have done it since the beginning and it seems to work for the most part. Sometimes we let Carson go to sleep first, then put Chloe in her bed. If Carson doesn't talk back to her, she eventually goes to bed too.

Hope this helps...feel like I rambled! I am so excited to see Gracyn!!!

Take care and let me know if I can help in any other way!

Sharla

The Poormans said...

Hey Kim I too had the same problem. I put my girls together and if I remember correctly they are similar in age difference. Paige had to go to bed at the same time but she could read but she could not talk. It took sometime and patience but well worth it. I separated them at 4 grade and 1st only because we moved to a much larger house but even to this day my girls stay in the same room every weekend catching up on all the teenage stuff I am sure I do not want to know. I think it bonds them for life. You are such a great mom and I am confident you will do what is best for your family. Oh! to have these problems sounds wonderful about NOW.

E said...

When Ryan figured out that he could climb out of his crib, we just took the crib mattress out and let him sleep on the floor on the crib mattress. Maybe try that for a couple days and tell her if she is good and goes to bed well, you will move the crib mattress into Addison's room. Then give that a couple days and tell her if she sleeps well in there on that bed, you will set her big girl bed up in Addison's room. But I would definitely give her some transition to the big bed before you do both new bed and new room. Like I said before, moving the boys together was easier than I ever dreamed it would be, now they are asking for the baby to sleep in their room too. But, I really let them think they were getting away with something that they wouldn't normally get to do. I think it will turn out better than you think. Good Luck!

Erin